Thursday, June 25, 2009

Final Episode: The universities I applied to...




Duke University: This was the first university that I applied to. I applied to Master of Engineering Management after a lot of research about the program. The webpage for the Master of Engineering Management page can be found at: http://memp.pratt.duke.edu/ Was one of my middle-range universities. Got an admit early February.





Stanford: Applied to MS in Management Science and Engineering. I felt there was a perfect fit between what I wanted and what was offered at Stanford. Did a lot of work on the Statement of Purpose and resume. Was fortunate to get very good recommendations. They do give a good weightage to GRE score. Was no. 1 choice of admit. Highly ambitious. Got a positive result early March. http://www.stanford.edu/dept/MSandE/


Columbia University: Was attracted to the Industrial Engineering and Operations Research Department. Realized pure Master of Engineering Management degrees like those in Duke are not much valued. So decided on solid MS programs. Applied to MS in Engineering Management Systems. http://www.ieor.columbia.edu/. Admitted.


University of Southern California: Middle range. Many Indian applicants do get in. So applied to EM again. http://www.usc.edu/dept/ise/. Industrial and Systems Engineering Department. Admitted.


Georgia Tech: Boasts of the no. 1 ranked program for Industrial Engineering. Was an ambitious application. Managed to get in. But I find that the MS&E program of Stanford gives a broader range of subject choices compared to GAtech. http://www.isye.gatech.edu/



Purdue: An optimistic application from my side. But, the program seems very narrow in scope and more of a traditional Industrial Engineering degree. So decided not to take it up. https://engineering.purdue.edu/IE/


Highly ranked Industrial Engineering Department. But the Industrial Engineering department’s handling of my application was very poor. They did not give me my result for more than 6 months. I finally mailed them asking them to cancel my application. http://www.ise.vt.edu/main/index.php





A safe bet. The Industrial Engineering department has a modest ranking of 13th in USA. Got an admit with partial fee waiver.http://www.ise.ufl.edu/




MEng. in Engineering Management. Comes under the Civil Engineering Department at Cornell. MEng. Can be very limiting if you want to get into research at later stages. Too short a duration. 9 months. Before you can really dig in to the courses, I guess you’ll have to get out of the university! http://www.cee.cornell.edu/graduate-programs/meng-in-engineering-management.cfm


University of Michigan at Ann Arbor: My only reject. Very good Industrial Engineering program. But their website s not too informative. A must-apply if you are serious about hard-core Industrial Engineering. http://ioe.engin.umich.edu/


Well that’s it! I have finally got through with detailing my applications procedure. Something I always wanted to pen down. Being from Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani – Goa Campus was a huge advantage. The brand name certainly helped. I mentioned Goa Campus as much as I could in the applications. Proud to be a BITS Goan! I will have surely missed a few points here and there. Hope you gain something out of these posts. Do mail me if you have other queries.

14 comments:

  1. Excellent post.Very useful for a confused MS/PhD aspirant like me.
    And congratulations on your phenomenal admits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very useful! thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome. Glad to be of help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So are you going to go to Stanford? I'm thinking of applying for their MS&E program as well, but not sure if I'll get in. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. apart from these, can you please mention the list of universities that offer Engineering Management Courses?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Anand,

    I'm a prospective applicant to Stanford's MS&E department. Given your success in your application, I was hoping to ask you a few questions. If you are willing, please let me know you your email address.

    I look forward to speaking with you.

    Cheers,

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Anand. So grateful for this informative post. I have a few queries about the Standford program and as far as my research goes Duke MEM looks really good.Could you give me your email ID so that I could pester you with my questions even more :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anand. I'll be applying for MEM soon and have a few doubts regarding both MEM and MSIE and also on many other elements of the application. Could you please give me your email ID.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey
    very helpful post... i am a production engineer from NIT Trichy and planning to app to MS&E this year... it d be great if i could clear a few doubts that i had.cn u send me ur mail id plz.. my mail id is anubha.nitt@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Anand!

    Congrats on your amazing admits! I just happened to stumble upon your blog and I realized that you've applied and got admits to the same courses and schools that I'm planning to apply to. It would be really helpful if you could give me your opinion on my SOP and answer a few questions. If you have the time and you're okay with helping me out, please mail me on lakshmijaiprakash@gmail.com. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Anand,

    Congratulations on your fabulous admits. I too wanted to apply to the Stanford MS&E program. If you are willing, I would like to ask you a few questions about the essay. My email address is pavithraks@gmail.com. If you are willing, please share your contact information. Otherwise, you can email me on my address above. Thank you very much in advance.

    Pavithra.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Anand,

    Excellent results, congrats! I am also applying to a very similar set of universities as you did and if you don't mind and have some free time I would like to ask you a few quick questions. Could you please give me your email or simply write to my email ( nikita.ushakov12@gmail.com ).
    Thank you.

    Nikita

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Anand,
    Even four years hence, your post is very useful! Thank you much for penning this down.
    I'm 2007A3PS182P, and my email ID is antoniorohit@gmail.com.
    I would like to ask you a few questions if that would be possible.
    Appreciatively,
    Antonio

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey what was your GRE score? Mine is 322 think that's sufficient for Stanford MSE?

    ReplyDelete